Chill day #1

Friday, January 7, 2011

| | |
My practicum with RENEW felt like it was going to fall through. I had to decide if I still wanted to go on the trip to the rescue house for sex trafficking. It is a 4 day long trip that I'd spend at a city 4 hours north of Manila so I would not be spending as much time with my group. 3 girls from "The World Race" that are living with us, who would have been so much fun to go with, can no longer come. And so I have to decide if I want to still go by myself. It not the safety that I'm worried about, but my competency to dothis alone. I have very little knowledge as to what I will be seeing and experiencing. I wont want to pass this opportunity up if they will allow me to go alone because I know it will be an experience unlike any other.

Since Christy and were the only 2 without assignment for the day we went to the children's home orphanage which is not more then 50 steps from where we live. The kids were more active then they were yesterday, and were a joy... what's new? And I got to hang out with one caretaker, Rona, whose main job is to run the nursery and other job is to entertain us :) I got to talk to her more and she ended up telling me her story of how she came to the children's home and how beinghere has changed her life and impacted her and her son. She used to be Muslim but became a Christian after seeing how much God has done for these children. She questions sometimes why God doesn't help more then he does. "There is so much bad things happening in my county" she said "why doesn't God do more". This is actually something that I've been thinking about for awhile now. "Sometimes God doesn't act directly from heaven but uses people like us to help". It is up to all of us to do our part and her prayer should be for other people to be changed and moved to help the needy. Tom Davis' book "scared" gives a very vivid image of this.

The rest of the day was Rona day and we accompanied her to yet another homeless feeding. I even tried the sloshy type stuff we were
serving and it wasn't that bad! The group of us after dinner went went back to play with the babies again and WOW (Rona's fav word :) the kids were OUT-RAGEOUS!! They were in these giggle fits that we could not snap them out of! I dont think I really wanted to either... My little friend, Paulo, who I met earlier was the source of it all. He and another boy, KenKen would start singing the Justin Bieber song "Baby", and would sometimes instead would sing "chicken" sending all the toddlers into a hysterical fit! I had to video it b/c it was worth remembering :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment