Day 1 in Addis Ababa!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

| | |

We arrived in Addis at 3 am this morning and I was immediately reminded why I had missed it so much. Alazar, our taxi driver friend (the dedicated fellow he is) picked us up at the airport and greeted us with a warm welcome. He took us to the New Flower Guest House where we stayed for a couple nights. The showers weren't working (Surprise!!) but I wasn't too upset because the only thing on my mind at that point was sleep. So instead, Christy and I just crashed to rest up for another crazy day of business that my mom had planned for us.
We woke up to a freshly cooked plate of scramble eggs and delicious Ethiopian Coffee... or buna. The day started out relaxing but the rest of the day was everything but. We visited 3 orphanages across the city and were so involved that by dinnertime we realized that we had completely forgotten about lunch! We spent the whole day playing with the kids, taking video of them to send to the families that would be adopting them, and giving them gifts and donations that we had brought with us. I was most excited to visit the transition house again and see the nannies that it had been a year since I last saw. I loved spending time with them last year as they laughed at my attempts to speak Amharic and taught me new words. They are all a lot of fun and most of them are about my age.I was also pleased when Nanny Chef (who's real name is Sanite, but that's not as much fun) was still happy to see me even after our monkey incident last year ;-). I really enjoy spending time with them, and I hope Christy and I can move to the transition house soon to spend more time with our nanny friends and the kids they take care of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment