I do NOT like injera!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

| | |
Today started with another early morning. By 8:15 we were out the door and on our way to El Olam. We needed to take 3 babies to the doctors to get a check ups and bloodwork done. None of the babies had prospective families yet and we needed to make sure they were healthy before we could assign them to a family. Christy's baby for the day was Tamarat. I felt bad for her as he turned out to be the messiest baby of all... I'll spare you details and just say she had to change her clothes as soon as we got back... :-P The other 2 were girl baby twins and I took one and my mom took the other. One of the girl babies was a goofy looking baby and made me laugh. But my baby turned out to be perfect if I may say so myself. She was soo cute and behaved so perfectly for me. I hated having to hold her down as they drew blood but at least we were able to stay friends in the end and she slept on my shoulder the whole way home :-).

Then we went back to the New Flower guest house and met a family that was about to go meet their 2 boys for the fist time! They were very excited and their energy rubbed off on us as we took the 30 minute drive to the transition house to meet their new kids! We told them a couple stories that we remembered from our interaction with their kids and their excitement only grew. Then came my favorite part of our trip.
So we videoed and took pictures of the emotional meeting. The kids were so overjoyed to finally meet their family that they've been waiting for for so long, and the parents were in tears as this moment felt so surreal to them.

We were invited to some Ethiopian friends of ours for dinner and I'm sad to say that I did NOT like the injera at all. Not even a little bit... It's a shame since that is their staple meal that they eat twice a day. I used to enjoy it myself but after a very bad experience with it last year I was hoping that it hadn't ruined it for me forever.
And I tried SO hard to eat it today but after a couple close calls of almost not being able to keep it down I realized that it was no use. Maybe one day again I will enjoy the sour bread and spicy meat combo once again!

2 comments:

Jolene Shrock said...

Julie
I met you last year. We came down to Taylor with Kathy and Jena Miller and I brought my daughter Claire Dollame. Who was at the transition house for a little while you were there last year! I am loving reading your blog!! And I am hoping some of the babies you are loving on will come my way as we are on the waiting list to adopt 2 more babies!! Bless you and your posse as you travel around Ethiopia!! :)

Hannah said...

haha...i read this earlier, and then just the other day, one of the interns i'm working with described injera as "that stuff that's like ace bandages?"

i thought of you :)

Post a Comment